NEW: 2019-20 Budget & Property Tax Request
Posted September 9, 2019
The following is a message from Westside Community Schools Superintendent Dr. Mike Lucas.
Monday September 16 at 6:00pm, the Board of Education will hold a Public Hearing regarding the 2019-20 budget and property tax request. In an effort to inform our community, the Board and I have put together a handout intended to help parents, residents, staff members and supporters of Westside Community Schools understand the factors involved. CLICK HERE to download the 2019-20 Budget & Property Tax Request Handout.
- Westside is the largest school district in Nebraska to not receive equalization aid. As a result, we are not funded like other metro districts and must rely more heavily on property taxes and option funding.
- Since 2013-14, Westside has had an average annual spending increase of just 0.475%.
- Westside’s 2019-20 enrollment is the highest it has been in four years, with 5,995 K-12 students.
- It will be our recommendation to lower our tax levy compared to the prior year for the first time since 2014.
- REDUCE our General Fund Levy by 1 penny to $1.1924
- DECREASE the Total Levy by .25 of a penny to $1.3824
We have also produced a video to help explain this process and our budget recommendation/property tax request for 2019-20.
All are welcome at the Monday, September 16 meeting. It begins at 6:00pm at the ABC Administration Building at 909 S. 76th St.
Thank you for your continued support of Westside Community Schools.
Dr. Mike Lucas