May Awards and Honors
Posted April 26, 2019
Westside High School Journalism
- Congratulations to the Westside Journalism Department, Class A State Champions for 2019! Click here for individual awards and honors.
Westside High School Engineering & Technology
- Congratulations to Westside High School Engineering and Technology students, honored with the 2018-2019 High School Program Excellence Award by the Nebraska Association of Skilled & Technical Sciences Educators! Click here for full details.
Carter Hogan, Westside High School
- CONGRATULATIONS to Westside High 9th grader Carter Hogan, who has qualified for the National Faceoff Showdown! Only the Top 200 students in the country are invited to attend this event to compete! Congratulations, Carter!!
Beth Cosentino, Westside High School
- CONGRATULATIONS to Westside High School teacher Beth Cosentino, named the 2019 Rookie of the Year by the Nebraska State Education Association! Ms. Cosentino will be honored at a special awards ceremony in Lincoln April 27.
Nebraska Geography Bee Competitors
- CONGRATULATIONS to the six outstanding Westside students who represented our district at the Nebraska Geography Bee on Friday! Of the 100 competitors who qualified, 2 of the Top 10 were from Westside! CONGRATULATIONS to Owen Schafer (Westside Middle School) who won 3rd place!
- L to R in above photo: Owen Schafer (WMS), Ethan Brooks (Loveland), Piper Zatechka (Paddock Road), Leo Konigsberg (Swanson), Sam Schafer (Sunset Hills). Not pictured Caden Atwater (Rockbrook)
Maggie Wadginksi, Westside Middle School
- Congratulations to Maggie Wadginski, honored with the 2019 Serra Club Alter Server Award! This annual award recognizes outstanding service in mass, presented by Serra Clubs of Omaha. In a letter from St. Margaret Mary Parish, Maggie was described as demonstrating excellence in attitude, cooperation, dependability, appearance, initiative and reverence. Maggie will be honored at a special mass April 9 at St. Cecilia Cathedral by Archbishop George Lucas.
Regan Rosseter, Westside Middle School
- Regan Rosseter, a 7th grader at Westside Middle School, has been wrestling since she was 5 years old and finished March at 29-3. She wrestled for the WMS Varsity Team this year, finishing 10-0 for the regular season. At the Westside City Invitational Regan won 3rd and completed her middle school season 13-1, every match against male competitors. Regan earned Ultimate Warrior for Wrestling 2019.
- Regan wrestles at Nebraska Wrestling Academy all year and competes at a National level. Just in March she has become AAU Middle School State Champion, AAU High School State Champion, USA Middle School State Champion, 2nd Place at Oklahoma City USA Marine Nationals and earned All American, and then wrestled this past weekend for Team Nebraska National Dual Team at the Twin River Duals going 9-0. She will be competing on the USA Nebraska National Dual Team at the Heartland Duals next weekend and with the AAU Nebraska National High School Dual Team at the Disney Duals Orlando in June.
Matt Bova, Westside Middle School
- Congratulations to Westside Middle School teacher Matt Bova, honored with the 2019 NASTSE Middle School Teacher Excellence Award! The Nebraska Association of Skilled and Technical Sciences Educators will present Mr. Bova with his award at the Nebraska Career Education Conference in Kearney this summer.
German Convention winners, Westside High School
- 14 students participated in the annual convention for the Nebraska Association of Students of German this past Saturday, April 6th. Everybody had a great time competing and participating in various seminars, and the following students earned prizes:
- First Place – Knowledge Bowl, Level 2: Maggie Siler, Noelle Abels, Maddie Flansburg, Avery Nicklous, and Duha Alabbas
- First Place – Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte* (Black Forest Cake): Melissa Allen and Danelle David
- Best Cake Overall* (out of every cake submitted in three different categories): Avery Nicklous and Duha Alabbas – Apfelkuchen (apple cake)
- Cake Competitions do not simply involve baking and submitting a cake. Participants must translate a German recipe into English, convert measurements and temperatures, and write a summary of their process/experience in German.
- Third Place – Poster Design: Samyak Pandit
- Third Place – Artwork: Jenna Young and Holden McCarthy
Tom Mann, Westside High School
- Please help us congratulate Westside High Sophomore Tom Mann, who just earned his 1st gold medal in trap shooting! Since Westside doesn’t have a trap team, Tom competes with Gross High, helping his teammates take home their highest medal count EVER this past weekend. From his coach: ‘Tom is a great team member, very respectful and a pleasure to coach.’ Way to represent, Tom! Great job!
Sylvia Fehr, Westside High School
- Congratulations to Westside High School student Sylvia Fehr, recognized by the Kiwanis Club for academics, athletics (pictured here with her Varsity Basketball coaches), and leadership!
Ryley Nolin, Westside High School
- Congratulations to Ryley Nolin for being recognized at the Greater Omaha Sports Commission for excellence in academics and basketball. From her Varsity Basketball Coach Steve Clark: ‘Well deserved scholar-athlete honor!!’
Andrew Johanningsmeier, Westside High School
- Congratulations to WHS junior Andrew Johanningsmeier, named a World Language Distinguished Scholar in French by the Nebraska Department of Education! Andrew was nominated by his teacher Anne Johnson, who submitted the following:
- Andrew shows a genuine interest in learning and seeks out information above and beyond what is expected of him. He is an active student both in and out of the classroom. He dedicates his time to extracurricular activities with his participation in French Club, volunteering with other language clubs and participating in the START program at UNL. He has also applied to participate in NSLI-Y 2019. In addition to being an exceptional student, Andrew is a respectful and mature young man. His rapport with his peers is excellent, and he interacts extremely well with his teachers. Andrew possesses the maturity and social grace to communicate effectively in any situation, including those in non-native languages. He is able to interact well in other languages while being aware of and sensitive to the culture. Andrew has a genuine interest in learning about other cultures and enjoys travel.
- Andrew has also been selected to receive a 2019-20 National Security Language Initiative for Youth scholarship for a 7-week summer language program studying Mandarin in China!
Wynand ‘Whit’ Hanssen, Westside Middle School
- Congratulations to Westside Middle School 7th grader Whit Hanssen, one of six winners of the Nebraska SciFest Essay Contest! Whit wrote an essay about a robot invention, winning him tickets to a presentation and one-on-one meeting with Mythbusters star Grant Imahara!
- Whit’s essay:
- The type of “robot” I would invent to help the community is one to solve the energy crisis, the most prominent roadblock in the world of science. I propose the idea of putting super efficient “stacked” variants of solar panels on wind turbines, specifically the newer and far more efficient bladeless turbines.
Digital Dozen winners
- The Excellence In Youth Team is proud to announce Mia De La Cruz (Paddock Road), Emily Cota (Swanson) and Dylan Gross (Oakdale) as the most recent recipients of the Digital Dozen award! This award is presented to students who earn 12 of the digital badges on the EY Blog (ey.westside66.org), which is available to students district-wide. It takes self-motivation, grit, and determination to earn these badges and we are proud of your accomplishments!
Olivia Meyer, Sophia Sims & Lauren Buban, Westside Middle School
CONGRATULATIONS to Westside Middle School students Olivia Meyer, Sophia Sims and Lauren Buban who won top honors at Nebraska National History Day!! Of the 370 students who presented, Olivia, Sophia and Lauren are three of only a few dozen selected to compete at the National Contest held this summer in College Park, Md!
Westside High School
- Congratulations to the Westside High student athletes who commitment to college athletic programs this month!
- Ryan Vester (Tennis) – Doane University
- Cade Jochum (Football) – Wayne State College
- Claire Denker (Soccer) – Central Methodist University
- Adam Fletcher (Lacrosse) – Ottawa University
Cade Jochum & Ryley Nolin, Westside High School
- Congratulations to Westside High School student athletes Cade Jochum and Ryley Nolin, awarded $3,000 Masterson Scholarships at the Westside High School Scholar-Athlete Banquet. The awards were presented by WOWT Sports Director and Westside alum Ross Jernstrom.