March Awards and Honors
Posted March 1, 2019
Sam Ostdiek, Swanson Elementary
- Sam Ostdiek, a 4th grader at Swanson Elementary, has shown incredible bravery and toughness during his battle with Wilson’s Disease and a liver transplant in August 2018. Sam and his family just learned they are going to Legoland in California, thanks to the Make-A-Wish Foundation! Please help us send Sam to sunny California reminding him of the hope, strength and joy he shares with all of us!
Westside Robotics Team
- Westside had over 50 students from Oakdale, Rockbrook, Loveland, Paddock, and Sunset compete at the 2019 Nebraska Robotics Expo on Saturday, February 16th. Oakdale took home the first and second place trophies from the Meteor Madness event, and also placed second in the autonomous programming event. The 3 Mustachios and WCS #4 (mixed school teams) placed 1st and 2nd in both the Deep Space Driving and the Spaces Junkies Navigational events! Westside students represented teamwork, problem solving, and fantastic sportsmanship at this event!
Alex LeClair, Prairie Lane
- The Metropolitan Literacy Council hosts a yearly writing contest for students in grade k-12. Students submitted creative and adorable stories about creatures who found friendship in unlikely places. Prairie Lane 4th grader, Alex LeClair, won 2nd place. Sunset Hills 4th graders Whitney I. and Claire H. earned honorable mention for their stories. Sunset Hills 3rd grader Henry H. earned 3rd place, and Swanson 5th grader Zahraa A. won 2nd place in her age division. All of the students and his/her families are invited to a “Meet the Author” celebration in March at Lewis and Clark Middle School. Eric Litwin, the author of Pete the Cat will speak at the event about being an author and illustrator.
Jadin Booth, Westside High School
- Congratulations to Westside Junior Jadin Booth on his career 1,000 points, a record he hit in February!
Nolan ‘Deuce’ Miller Johnston, Westside High School
- Congratulations to Nolan ‘Deuce’ Miller Johnston, who earned his 100th career win at the 2019 NSAA State Wrestling Tournament! Miller Johnston, a WHS Senior, went on to win a Bronze medal at the state championships.
Digital Dozen Award Winners
- The Excellence In Youth Team is proud to announce Sophie Whittle, Evan Putnam, Henry Henningsen, Ian Key and Caden Atwater as the most recent recipients of the Digital Dozen award! This award is presented to students who earn 12 of the digital badges on the EY Blog (ey.westside66.org), which is available to students district-wide. It takes self-motivation, grit, and determination to earn these badges and we are proud of your accomplishment!
Vivian Jacobitz, Neha Khalid, Ciara Baumer & Emma Carlson, Westside High School
- Congratulations to Westside High School students awarded National Merit honors! Vivian Jacobitz, Neha Khalid and Ciara Baumert are all finalists; Emma Carlson was selected as a Candidate in the Special Scholarship Competition through the National Merit Scholarship Corporation.
Olivia Meyer, Sophia Sims, Lauren Buban, Weston Siebler & Paul Wood, Westside Middle School
- Congratulations to the students who participated in the district history day competition yesterday at the Durham Museum, and special congratulations to the following winners. They will move on to compete in the state competition in Lincoln in April.
- 1st Place in Group Exhibit: 7B’s Olivia Meyer and Sophia Sims
- 1st Place in Individual Exhibit: 7A’s Lauren Buban
- 3rd Place in Group Documentary: 7A’s Weston Siebler and Paul Wood
Cade Jochum & Avante Dickerson, Westside High School
- Congratulations to Westside High School student athletes Cade Jochum and Avante Dickerson for being recognized at the Greater Omaha sports luncheon for All State Football!
Westside High School
- Congratulations to the eight Westside High School student-athletes who signed on National Letter of Intent Day!
- Liz Robinson, Lacrosse at Davenport University (MI)
- Henry Zipay, Baseball at Iowa Western CC
- Tyson Guzman, Football at the University of Nebraska
- Cameron Kully, Baseball at Des Moines Area CC
- Loren Woita, Football at Northwest Missouri State
Dylan Packett – Morningside Univ – Football
Noah Wing – Nebraska Wesleyan – Baseball
Adam Fletcher – Ottawa University, KS – Lacrosse
Victoria Chin & Raeanne Sando, Westside High School
- Congratulations to Victoria Chin and Raeanne Sando, Westside High School sophomores, both selected as regional winners for the Nebraska and Southwest Iowa Affiliate for the 2019 NCWIT Aspirations in Computing Award! Both students will be honored in a special ceremony in Lincoln in April, hosted by the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.