February Awards and Honors
Posted February 1, 2019
Ethan Goldner, Westside High School
- Congratulations to Westside Senior Ethan Goldner, recognized at the Greater Omaha Sports Committee Banquet! Goldner, a multi-sport athlete for Westside, was joined by KETV’s Andy Kendeigh and Cross Country Coach Andrew Easton.
Mrs. Lindsey Jagels, Sunset Hills Elementary
- Congratulations to Mrs. Lindsey Jagels, 6th grade teacher at Sunset Hills Elementary, named a Star 104.5 Teacher of the Week! The Chris and Terri radio show surprised Mrs. Jagels at school Thursday to honor her and her class!
Scarlett Connor & Kaden Guzman, Westside Middle School
- Westside Middle School students Scarlett Connor and Kaden Guzman have been chosen to be part of the Midwestern All Stars Swim Team. As part of this elite selection, the two competed in mid-January representing their team – and Westside!
Westside High School Varsity Cheer & Dance Teams
- Congratulations to the Westside Dance & Cheer Teams! These talented Warriors competed at the Skyhawk Cheer and Dance competition in January; Dance won first in their division, Cheer won first in their division and Grand Champions of the Competition! Great job, Warriors!
Michael Colling, Westside High School
- Congratulations to Michael Colling, who earned his 100th career win at the Metro Wrestling Tournament in January! Michael will compete for Westside at the upcoming District Tournament, and hopefully State later this month.
Victoria Chin, Westside High School
- Victoria Chin, a sophomore at Westside High School, has been selected as a 2019 National Honorable Mention for the NCWIT Award for Aspirations in Computing. Victoria, nominated by Westside teacher Kristeen Shabram, stood out in a field of more than 4, 300 applications.
Owen Schafer, Westside Middle School
- Congratulations to Owen Schafer, 7th grader at Westside Middle School and winner of the WMS Geography Bee! Schafer was also last year’s winner at Sunset Hills, and will now begin testing to qualify for the Nebraska State Geography Bee competition.
Chase Thompson, Westside High School
- Congratulations to Westside Senior Chase Thompson on his career 1,000 points, a record he hit in January! Westside Boys Basketball was ranked #5 in the latest state Class A standings by the Omaha World Herald! (Photo courtesy Yamilett Ramirez for Westside Journalism)
- Congratulations as well to Westside Girls Basketball, 1st Runner Up in the Metro Tournament and ranked #8 in the latest Class A standings!
Westside Connection, Westside Middle School
- When snow kept the Westside Middle School show choir from competing in Iowa over the weekend, Director Nick Djernes and WMS leaders worked non-stop to register Westside Connection to compete at Millard West. Our talented student performers won 1st place and swept caption awards for Best Vocals and Best Choreography!
- Congratulations as well to ALL Westside show choirs, who captures 1st place in all divisions!
Louder Than A Bomb Poetry Team, Westside High School
- Five Westside High School students and one Westside Middle School student were selected to perform at the first ‘Living The Dream’ High School competition, showcasing performance art. ZamZam Farah (Poetry/Spoken Word), Adam Kamal Eddine (Poetry/Spoken Word), Anne Devries (Vocal Music), Mohamed Adam (Poetry/Spoken Word) and Sakari Chatmon (Poetry/Spoken Word) competed alongside students from across the Omaha metro area at the Holland Performing Arts Center on January 21. 8th grade student Julia Wuestewald was not eligible to compete due to her age, but was named guest poet of the event and shared her poem ‘Dysphoria.’
Westside Middle School Vocal Music students
- 11 Westside Vocal Music students were selected to participate in this years annual Nebraska Honor Choir. The honor choir was comprised of students from across the Omaha Metro area. Students learned advanced literature and spent a day under the direction of a national renown arranger and clinician. Students gave a stunning performance to conclude the day!
- Students Pictured from left to right: (Front row) Ava Dembowski, Meg Parsonage, Maddy Andrysik, (second row) Lilly Johnson, Josie Bartek, Sammy Gillotte, Ainsley Meyerson, (third row) Aaron Cardinale, Evan Wedergren, Jack Meehan, Kaden Guzman
Eva Houston, Westside High School
- Congratulations to Eva Houston, Senior at Westside High School, named a 2018 US Paralympics Track & Field High School All-American! Eva also traveled overseas last summer representing the United States (and Westside!) at the 2018 International Wheelchair Games!
Westside Cycling Team
- Congratulations to the Westside Cycling Team, finishing first overall in interscholastic competition this year! The team, including students from both Westside High School and Westside Middle School, competed in several mountain bike rices throughout the fall.