District Shares Fall Schedule And Pandemic Plan
Posted June 29, 2020
The following is a message from Dr. Mike Lucas, Superintendent of Westside Community Schools.
Thank you to all who attended our Community Forum last Thursday, whether in person or by joining us online. As we shared, we continue to spend a lot of time on our pandemic plan as we prepare for August. We know that providing a safe learning and working environment is always a top priority. As we’ve learned these past few months, many things can change in the coming weeks but as of now, we feel it is important to share the following news with you.
- School begins for our Pre-K, Kindergarten – 7th grade, and 9th grade students on Tuesday, August 18th. Our 8th graders and 10th-12th graders will begin school on August 19th. We are opening back up for all students and will have numerous safety measures and social-distance initiatives in place. We continue to listen to local and state health officials as we follow their Directed Health Measures and recommendations. We are excited to return to full session with all of our students every day and we are ready to make 2020-21 the best year possible.
- New this year, our elementary schools will begin at 8:30 AM, which is 10-minutes earlier than prior years.
- Please watch for communication from your building principals in July regarding Kindergarten Round Up and other official info about “Back To School” items like Sneak-a-Peek, Orientations, etc. pertaining to each specific building.
- August 18th will be for 7th graders only at WMS; 8th graders will begin school on August 19th.
- August 18th will be for 9th graders only at WHS; 10th-12th graders will begin school on August 19th.
- We will continue to provide numerous updates in the coming weeks as we further prepare for the 2020-21 school year. This return to school on site is going to be a total TEAM effort requiring all of us – staff, families and students – working together. There is always the possibility that we will have to close back down and again utilize “extended campus/at-home learning” but we want to do everything in our power to avoid that if at all possible. Again, we will continue to follow Directed Health Measures and recommendations from medical experts. Please understand that all of these plans can change again. And again.
- Families will be asked to screen their students for temperature and other symptoms such as sneezing, coughing, sore throat, and not feeling well on a daily basis. Close communication with the school will be important as we do not want children who are not feeling well to attend.
- CLICK HERE FOR OUR ROUGH DRAFT “Pandemic Plan”. It changes on a weekly, if not daily, basis as we continually work to follow best practice recommendations and requirements from medical experts. It is a true “work in progress” but we wanted to share it with all of you to be fully transparent.
We understand that the last few months have been extremely challenging for many of our students, their families, and our staff. The upcoming year will also be full of unknowns and obstacles to overcome. We need to support each other. We need to stay home when we don’t feel well, wash our hands often, wear masks where/when appropriate, and take care of ourselves. TOGETHER, we can make 2020-21 a wonderful experience for our students. TOGETHER, we can overcome the challenges headed our way. TOGETHER, we are better.
CLICK HERE for our 2020-21 SCHOOL CALENDAR. Below are some selected school calendar highlights for your planning purposes.
- August 18th – School begins for K-7th graders and 9th graders
- August 19th – School begins for 8th and 10th-12th graders
- September 7th – NO SCHOOL due to Labor Day
- September 21st – NO SCHOOL due to STAFF Professional Development
- October 15th-16th – NO SCHOOL due to TEACHER/PARENT COMMUNICATION DAYS
- November 25th-27th – NO SCHOOL due to Thanksgiving Break
- December 18th – Last day of school for 1st semester/Winter Break begins
- January 5th – School resumes/2nd semester begins
- January 18th – NO SCHOOL – MLK Jr. Day/STAFF IN-SERVICE
- February 15th – NO SCHOOL due to STAFF Professional Development
- March 11th-12th – NO SCHOOL due to TEACHER/PARENT COMMUNICATION DAYS
- March 29th – April 2nd – NO SCHOOL due to SPRING BREAK
- April 23rd – NO SCHOOL due to Westside hosting District Music
- May 16th – Graduation
- May 27th – Last day of school for students
We will also be sending home color, printed calendars at no charge for every student and staff member in our district at the start of the school year. However, as we continue to face so many unknowns as these calendars go to print, most dates have been left blank, allowing for you to fill in events important to you once they are determined. We hope our families enjoy the photos and resources, and utilize our online calendars we update frequently with changes.
I am thankful and proud to be part of the Westside community with each of you. WE will get off to a great start in August. WE will adjust and adapt to whatever comes at us next. WE will persevere with grit, pride, and a sense of teamwork. WE are Westside!