December Awards & Honors
Posted December 5, 2018
- November 15, 40 Westside elementary students participated in the 2018 McMillan Math Contest. Schools from across the metro area competed in the contest and Westside mathletes brought home 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place trophies. Congratulations to all these amazing mathletes!
- 5th grade Loveland/Sunset team of Jack Hawkins, Luca Agulla, BingYi Wang, and Trea Spady came in 1st place.
- 6th grade Oakdale Team of Christopher Whittle, Evan From, Davin Wang, and Macy Sweet-Bemer came in 1st place.
- 6th grade Rock/Swan/Dale (Rockbrook, Swanson, Oakdale) team of Cooper Stiles, Jack Boerner, Josh Neumeister, and Jack Sweet-Bemer came in 2nd place.
- 6th grade Swanson team of Alex Fitch, Ryan Kugler, Thatcher Bowden, and Harry Yeager came in 3rd place.
Elijah Garst, Loveland
- The Excellence In Youth Team is proud to announce Elijah Garst from Loveland as the most recent recipient of the Digital Dozen award! This award is presented to students who earn 12 of the digital badges on the EY Blog (ey.westside66.org), which is available to students district-wide. It takes self-motivation, grit, and determination to earn these badges and we are proud of your accomplishment! Congratulations, Elijah!
Westside High School All State Choir Honorees
- Congratulations to Westside’s 37 student performers selected for All State Choir! Harper Gordman, Isabela Hovorka, Jill Stark, Ella Vraspir, Camille Beaulieu, Abby Cota, Chloe Shepherd, Rachel Stouffer, Mara Summers, Lan Volberding, Brooklyn Webster, Kennady Dembowski, Audrey Egbert, Sam Howdle, Vivian Jacobitz, Kelly Kroeger, Tiana Dancer, Delilah Keeling, Lucy Kupka, Kayja Speeks, Kjersti Swanson, Delaney Wetjen, Ryan Alger, Christian Shields, Jonathan Sullivan, Philip Andress, Sawyer Barnhart, Gabe Becker, JT Bergman, David Goodwin, Brandon McMiller, Mason Sanwick, Jack Scioli, Connor Smith, Jayven Brandt, Will Carnazzo, Ethan Forcade, Chase Piper (Alternate), Emily Kriz (Alternate), Paul Suder (Alternate), Evan Dondlinger (Alternate), Roshan Sapkota (Alternate)
- Jayven Brandt, 2018 All State Choir soloist
Ava Johnson, Westside Middle School
- Ava Johnson, a 7th grader at Westside Middle School, is the 2018 Region 8 USATF champion for pentathlon! Ava competed against student athletes from Nebraska, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota and Wisconsin. She was also selected for the 2018 All Nebraska Team in Track and Field
- Ava is also the reigning Level 4 Nebraska state champion for all four artistic gymnastics events and will begin competing nationally in January 2019!
Ryan Adkins, Westside High School
- Congratulations to Westside’s Ryan Adkins, awarded a 2018 Hagel Scholar Award! This award is presented to outstanding student leaders attending Omaha area high schools who exemplify the highest standards of ethics, integrity, leadership and respect. Ryan receives a certificate signed by former US Secretary of Defence Chuck Hagel, as well as a scholarship to enroll in a dual enrollment course at the University of Nebraska at Omaha.
- Click here to read more!
Rose Padiso & Majesty Marti-Lester, Westside Middle School & Elise Smith, Westside High School
- Congratulations to Rose Padios and Majesty Marti-Lester, both 8th graders at Westside Middle School, and Elise Smith, 9th grader at Westside High School, selected for the elite CodeCrush program at the University of Nebraska at Omaha! They are three of only 32 chosen out of more than 70 applicants from the midwest. In November, the three attended the program at UNO, immersed in a world of IT including special speakers, tours and seminars, intended to encourage young girls to pursue internet technology.
- Click here to read more!
Riley Perez, Westside High School
- Congratulations to Westside sophomore Riley Perez, cast in the Omaha Community Playhouse presentation of She Kills Monsters this fall! Riley is now preparing for the touring production of A Christmas Carol, traveling to 17 different cities and theaters as part of the professional production.
Westside High School ACT Champions Club
- Congratulations to the 40+ seniors at Westside High School who scored a 30 or better on the ACT! These students, known as the ‘ACT Champions Club’ were treated to a special celebration breakfast courtesy of Dr. Vicki Londer, KB Building Services and the Westside Counseling Department. A special congratulations to the two Westside junior who scored a perfect 36: Theodore Jansen and Reese Pike.
- ACT Champions Club: Taylor Cassidy, Grace Frevert, Jackson Hanus, Marlene Loo, Ruby McFadden, Campbell Mooney, Kjersti Swanson, Connor Thierstein, Anna Wilwerding, Georgia Wimmer, Emily Bauer, Emma Carlson, Dalton Hulett, Jillian Jones, Emily Kutler, John Latta, Elijah Marburg, Ashley Rogers, Connor Smith, Bailey Wilson, Saunders Cohen, Alina Darty, Sylvia Fehr, Ethan Goldner, Mary Bessmer, Madigan Brodsky, Ethan Fox, Erik Henry, Connor Myers, Samuel Parsonage, Ian Pinhero, Shay Snow, Justin Solheim, Jonathan Sullivan, Biruk Tewodros, Elizabeth Thomas, Daniel Wood, Ciara Baumert, Vivian Jacobitz, Rebecca Podariu, Elise Riddle, Sameer Siddiqui, Neha Khalid, Spencer Korengel, Alaina Mann, Drew Tilgner and Will Carnazzo
District Spelling Bee Winners
- The 2018-19 District Spelling bee was held on November 16, at Westside Middle School. The top 2 spellers from each elementary school, along with the top 8 spellers from WMS competed in the competition. After 20 rounds of amazing spelling, Lucy Holan came in first place! Lucy will represent Westside at the Omaha World-Herald’s Midwest Spelling Bee in the spring.
- Congratulations to these top 3 spellers!
- 1st place: Lucy Holan, Westside Middle School
- 2nd place: Jadyn Anderson, Westside Middle School
- 3rd place: Liam Plumb, Sunset Hills
Westside High Student Athletes
- Congratulations to the Westside High School student athletes who participated in National Signing Day!
- Sylvia Fehr: Soccer at Augustana
- Kaley Heinz: Soccer at Concordia
- Ryley Nolin: Soccer at UMKC
- Georgia Wimmer: Soccer at Iowa State
- Jordan Bowen: Volleyball at Limestone College (SC)
- Christian Snawerdt: Cross Country & Track at Iowa Central
- Madison Jagels: Cheerleading at Hastings College
Jenessa Kimminau, Rockbrook
- Jenessa Kimminau, a 3rd grader at Rockbrook Elementary, recently participated in the Miss Amazing program! Jenessa performed on stage in front of a packed house, developing her strength and confidence.
- Click here to watch Jenessa’s performance!
Grant Guyett & Dom Rezac, Westside High School
- Congratulations to 9th graders Grant Guyett and Dom Rezac, named to statewide football teams this fall! Guyett was selected for the 9th Grade All Nebraska Super State Team, and Dom Rezac was selected as 9th Grade All Nebraska Honorable Mention.
Julia Wuestewald, Westside Middle School
- Julia Wuestewald, 8th grader at Westside Middle School, won 1st place and the $100 top prize at the 18th Annual Teen Poetry Bash held at the Omaha Public Library and sponsored by the Nebraska Writer’s Collective. Congratulations, Julia!