Westside Offers Summer Programs
There are multiple programs and activities offered over the summer break through Westside Community Schools
Summer Food Service Program (SFSP)
- Each year, the U.S. Department of Agriculture partners with Westside Community Schools to provide free meals to children when school is out for the summer. There are no income requirements or registration necessary to participate. Anyone age 18 or younger may come to eat, and adults who are accompanied by children may also eat for free.
- The schools serving breakfast and lunch include Westgate, Prairie Lane, Hillside and Westbrook. Meals are served from May 30th – August 9th (with the exception of July 3rd & 4th). Breakfast runs from 7:45am – 9:00am and lunch is from 11:30am – 1:30pm.
- For more information long onto http://www.fns.usda.gov/summerfoodrocks or call 402-390-6490.
Title Summer School
- Summer school for students (by invitation) from Hillside, Paddock Road, Westbrook and Westgate. Classes take place in the mornings from July 10-28. For more information, email Amy Falcone at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 402-390-8996.
College for Kids
- A partnership with Metro Community College. Students age 3-11 enroll for one week at a time. Westside’s week is July 17-21. Classes are held at Prairie Lane Elementary (11444 Hascall Street). The program is from 9 a.m. to noon Monday – Friday. Each class is priced separately at $30/class, so they may enroll for 1, 2 or 3 classes. The hour-long classes are offered for three different age groups: 6-7 year olds, 8-9 year olds, and 10-11 year olds.
- Preschool and High Five classes are $52/week from 9-11:45 a.m.
- For more information, visit www.mccneb.edu/cc or call 531-622-KIDS.
WMS Jump Start Camp
- New this year. A transition program from 6th to 7th grade. The purpose is to ease the transition of a 6th grade student to middle school. This will include activities related to students’ success as they transition to the middle school.
WHS Summer School
- The summer school program enables students to enrich their learning, make up failed courses, or take courses that are not available during the school year. Cost for residents: one course is $135; two courses $195. Cost for non-residents: one course is $185; two courses $285. Tuition waivers are available for students who qualify for free and reduced lunch (for WCS students only). Click here to view the summer school booklet.
- NOTE: There is no Summer School at WMS in the summer of 2017 due to construction.
- Summer School is also available at WHS West Campus. Dates, times and prices are all the same as WHS details noted above.
WHS Summer Athletic Camps
- VOLLEYBALL CAMP takes place June 5-7 at Westside High School. Sessions will take place daily for 9th-12th graders from 9:00am-Noon, and for 5th-8th graders from 1:00pm-3:00pm. For more information, email Beth Peitzmeier at email@example.com.
- LITTLE WARRIOR CLINICS take place June 12th, 19th and 26th. For more information, email Beth Peitzmeier at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click here to view the Sports Camps booklet
- Driver’s Ed is offered May 30 – June 9 at WHS. Registration begins April 17 at WHS. For questions regarding Driver’s Ed, please contact 402-597-4809.
Nebraska Unicameral Youth Legislature
- High school students are invited to take on the role of state senators at the Unicameral Youth Legislature June 11-14. The registration fee is $350 and includes lodging, meals and daily transportation. Scholarships are available. For more information call 402-471-2788 or visit www.NebraskaLegislature.gov/uyl
Summer Golf for Students
- The Junior Golf Club of Omaha offers family golf days and junior golf clinics throughout the summer. CLICK HERE to download a flyer.
Westside Girls Soccer Clinic
- Westside High School will host the 2017 Westside Girls Soccer clinic Tuesday May 30 – Friday June 2. The camp is designed for girls with plans of playing soccer at the highest levels. For more information, email Coach Nathan Moseley at email@example.com or CLICK HERE for a printable flyer.
Westside Middle School’s Westside Edge Show Choir Camp
- Westside Middle School’s show choir staff presents an opportunity to get an edge on your middle school try-out. The week long camp is open to all boys and girls grades 6-8. It runs June 5-9 with a public performance at 3pm on June 9th. CLICK HERE for a printable flyer.
Westside High School Little Warrior Theatre Camp
WHS Warrior Theatre offers a summer theatre camp for ages 8-12 (going into 2nd grade through going into 6th grade). The camp takes place July 10th-14th from 9:00am to Noon each day. The deadline to register is June 1. For more information, email Jeremy Stoll at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 402-343-2641. CLICK HERE for more information and to register.
Omaha Public Libraries Summer Reading Program
- Omaha Public Libraries have organized a free summer reading program from June 1 – July 31. Children and teenagers are eligible to win prizes for logging hours reading. Kick-off parties will take place May 27th from 1:00-3:00pm at all locations. For more information and to sign up CLICK HERE.
Nebraska GenCyber Camp
- The Nebraska GenCyber Camp is back for its second year (2016 camp was called Silicon Prairie GenCyer), a collaborative effort between Bellevue University, and the University of Nebraska at Omaha, is a combination program to encourage students (1 week camp) and teachers (2 week camp) to expand their cybersecurity knowledge, skills, and abilities. The camp will provide interactive and engaging instruction designed to promote and develop the types of skills necessary to build the next generation cyber security experts.
- This is a day camp which will be held from July 24th to August 4th for teachers and from July 31st to August 4th for students on the campuses of Bellevue University and UNO. The camp is open to 25 students entering grades 9 and 10 in fall 2017 and 25 teachers from all grade levels and disciplines. There is no cost to attend the camp.
- Information and application is at http://www.nebraskagencyber.com
Westside Girls Volleyball Camp
Coaches and players from Wayne State College are coming to lead the 2017 Westside Volleyball Camp June 5-7. Wayne State is a Perennial Division II Powerhouse, ending their 2016 season ranked 12th in the nation in Division II. The emphasis of camp will revolve around teaching and developing the fundamental techniques of volleyball, as well as game strategies. Basic skills are stressed in drills, while team play is incorporated to teach how the fundamentals fit in the game.
- 5th-8th Grade Girls from 1:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. Cost: $60.00 for 3 days
9th-12th Grade Girls from 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.Cost: $90.00 for 3 days
- Westside High School Gym, 8701 Pacific Street, Omaha, NE 68114
For more information, email Coach Beth Peitzmeier at email@example.com