Westside Offers Summer Programs
There are multiple programs and activities offered over the summer break through Westside Community Schools
Summer Food Service Program (SFSP)
- Offered at Hillside, Prairie Lane, Westbrook and Westgate. Offers free breakfast and lunch for students age 1-18 (and their parents if funding comes through) through the summer months when school is not is session. For more information, call 402-390-6490.
Title Summer School
- Summer school for students (by invitation) from Hillside, Paddock Road, Westbrook and Westgate. Classes take place in the mornings from July 10-28. For more information, email Amy Falonce at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 402-390-8996.
College for Kids
- A partnership with Metro Community College. Students age 3-11 enroll for one week at a time. Westside’s week is July 17-21. Classes are held at Prairie Lane Elementary (11444 Hascall Street). The program is from 9 a.m. to noon Monday – Friday. Each class is priced separately at $30/class, so they may enroll for 1, 2 or 3 classes. The hour-long classes are offered for three different age groups: 6-7 year olds, 8-9 year olds, and 10-11 year olds.
- Preschool and High Five classes are $52/week from 9-11:45 a.m.
- For more information, visit www.mccneb.edu/cc or call 531-622-KIDS
WMS Summer School
- WMS summer school focuses on incorporating literacy across the curriculum. The teacher-designed classes, such as Intro to Sports Management and Journey Through Antarctica, encourage active participation and application of literacy strategies.
WMS Jump Start Camp
- New this year. A transition program from 6th to 7th grade. The purpose is to ease the transition of a 6th grade student to middle school. This will include activities related to students’ success as they transition to the middle school.
WHS Summer School
- The summer school program enables students to enrich their learning, make up failed courses, or take courses that are not available during the school year. Cost for resident: one course is $135; two courses $195. Cost for non-residents: one course is $185; two courses $285. Tuition waivers are available for students who qualify for free and reduced lunch (for WCS students only). Click here to view the summer school booklet.
WHS Summer Athletic Camps
- VOLLEYBALL CAMP takes place June 5-7 at Westside High School. Sessions will take place daily for 9th-12th graders from 9:00am-Noon, and for 5th-8th graders from 1:00pm-3:00pm. For more information, email Beth Peitzmeier at email@example.com.
- LITTLE WARRIOR CLINICS take place June 12th, 19th and 26th. For more information, email Beth Peitzmeier at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Click here to view the Sports Camps booklet
- Driver’s Ed is offered May 30 – June 9 at WHS. Registration begins April 17 at WHS. For questions regarding Driver’s Ed, please contact 402-597-4809.
Nebraska Unicameral Youth Legislature
- High school students are invited to take on the role of state senators at the Unicameral Youth Legislature June 11-14. The registration fee is $350 and includes lodging, meals and daily transportation. Scholarships are available. For more information call 402-471-2788 or visit www.NebraskaLegislature.gov/uyl
For questions regarding any of these events, please email Kim Sedivy at email@example.com.
Summer Golf for Students
- The Junior Golf Club of Omaha offers family golf days and junior golf clinics throughout the summer. CLICK HERE to download a flyer.
Red Cross Babysitting Training Course
- The American Red Cross offers a babysitter training course May 1-2, 4:30-8:00. Attendance both days is required for certification. All ages 11-15 are welcome. Class is $68 per participant, organized by the Loveland Community Club. Email Jennifer Dowd at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.